Anglican church responds to clergy claims

The Anglican Church has rejected complaints about the status of Bishop Peter Hollingworth.Melbourne’s Anglican diocese rejects suggestions it has ignored complaints about former governor-general Bishop Peter Hollingworth linked to his handling of sexual abuse cases.

杭州桑拿

The denial comes as Victorian Reason Party MP Fiona Patten backs calls for Dr Hollingworth to stand down amid reports of survivor complaints about his continued status in the church.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne rejected any implication it ignored complaints about Bishop Hollingworth.

“All complaints against clergy are taken very seriously,” the church said.

The former Brisbane archbishop became governor-general in 2001 before resigning in 2003 following pressure over his handing of child abuse cases.

He apologised in 2016 during the child sexual abuse royal commission for failing to take action against pedophile priest John Elliot.

The commission last year found Dr Hollingworth made a serious error in judgment in allowing Elliot to remain in the ministry following an abuse complaint.

It also found he failed to take into account psychiatric advice that Elliot was an untreatable pedophile.

Ms Patten noted Dr Hollingworth was allowed to continue working as a minister following his evidence at the commission.

“I question whether there is another employer who would permit their staff member to continue working with children after such allegations were levelled against them, and as an act of contrition he should be asked to resign,” the MP said in a statement on Wednesday.

She also questioned how Dr Hollingworth was granted a Working With Children Check.

Melbourne Archbishop Philip Freier said complaints against clergy were handled by independent professional standards body Kooyoora Ltd.

“My role is to respect that independent process and allow it do do its work, free of interference or public commentary from the church,” he added.

Jets coach welcomes FFA Cup date with Melbourne City

SUPERB: Dimi Petratos was among the Jets’ best in the hard fought 1-0 win over Gold Coast Knights in the FFA Cup round of 32 on Tuesday night. They have drawn Melbourne City in the next round. Picture: AAPNEWCASTLE coach Ernie Merrick was not disappointed when the Jets weredrawn to play Melbourne City rather than one of the non A-Leagueclubs in the next round of the FFA Cup.

杭州桑拿

On the surface, a date with one of the 10 National Premier League outfitswould seem an easier task in the knockout competition.

But Merrick pointed to the difficulty the Jets encountered in a1-0 win over third-tier Gold Coast Knights on Tuesday night as an example of the danger a minnow can pose.

Admittedly the Jets were decidedly flat, having returned 24 hours earlier from Spain, where they played three games in five days.

“I am happy we are playing an A-League side,” Merrick said. “It is of more benefit tous. Sometimes when you play another A-League side, you are at the same stage in preparation.The Knights got stronger as the game went on. They are virtually at the end of their season, were well organised and match fit.We are not match fit.There was no doubt our boys faded in the final 20 minutes andwere pretty tired.Credit to Gold Coast, they really pushed us to the end.

“It was the first time Newcastle has got through the first round of the FFA Cup. We had to dig deep to do it, whichwas a credit to the boys.We are now pretty keen to beat Cityand take another step forward in the FFA Cup.”

A date for the City clash is yet to be finalised. The round of 16 will be played on August 21 and 22 andthe following Tuesday and Wednesday.

Apart from being better rested, the Jets will welcome back Ronny Vargas and Nigel Boogaard, who sat out the Knights game.

“We really missed Ronny,” Merrick said. “Nigel would have structured the backline a bit better. Both will be on deck for City. [Against the Knights]Glen Mosswas outstanding and so was Dimi Petratos. Dimi ran the show in midfield and was a real threat with his shots and freekicks. To get Ronny inas well, we virtually play with two No.10s in those two.”

The Jets beat City 2-1 in the preliminary final last season and were scheduled to meet them in a friendly in Melbourne next week, which has been canned.

The Jets also have friendlies planned against the Mariners and Sydney.

The clash against the Central Coast at Maitland Sportsground on August 25 is a week after Usain Bolt begins training in Gosford.

A Mariners official ruled out an appearance,on or off the field,by the eight-time gold medalist in Maitland much to the displeasureof Merrick.

“If he was playing it would be a good experience for the boys,” he said. “It would certainly attract a crowd.I reckon if a ball went in behind our back four, he would be first there.Hopefully it works out for the Mariners. It has created a bit of excitement.”

The Jets could have a couple of additions of their own by the Maitland hit out.

“We need two attacking players and another goalkeeper,” Merrick said. “The window in most European leagues closes at the end of August. There is nothing really on the radar that is close yet.”

David Jones debuts Spring Summer season

David Jones served up a diverse catalogue at its Spring Summer 2018 Collections Launch rehearsal.The show started with a bang and ended with a strike of elegance – a taste of the reinvention David Jones wants to inspire in its upcoming season.

杭州桑拿

Dramatic thunder and lightning-like strobes were just the beginning of a diverse, colour-filled showcase of clothes at David Jones Spring Summer Rehearsal on Wednesday at Fox Studios.

As the storm cleared and summery sounds drifted from the speakers, Sundanese-Australian model Adut Akech emerged as the show opener popping in an emerald green, strapless bikini as she walked the nature-filled catwalk.

With more than 200 looks, the show served up a diverse catalogue with bold prints and interesting cuts for swimwear and slouchy suits, bold athleisure and frilled florals in day wear.

Evening wear featured attention-grabbing gowns of soft floating silks, gold-trimmed sequinned dresses and glittery blazers.

David Jones ambassador Jessica Gomes said the internationally focused show delivered classic, luxurious looks while also maintaining an effortless, cool feel.

“Designers really want to be part of culture,” Gomes told AAP.

“I think that’s really important to embrace diversity. I think that’s where fashion is heading towards.”

Gomes said she hopes people feel inspired by the season’s fresh looks and the idea of reinventing yourself.

“That’s what fashion is about. It’s about splashing colour into the world and getting everyone’s mind off the crazy things that are happening and just enjoying beauty,” she told AAP.

The star-studded show featured Anwar Hadid, the younger brother of supermodels of Gigi and Bella, and former Victoria’s Secret model Karolina Kurkova.

Finishing the show Kurkova stunned in an elegant black gown, followed by models sporting elaborate race day hats.

The Czech beauty said she is a huge fan of Australian designers citing Zimmermann, Ellery, Camilla and Marc, Dion Lee and Bianca Spencer as some of her favourite brands.

“I love your style and way of being – you’re nice, you’re genuine, you care,” she said on Australia.

The retailer previously said it chose the star as part of this season’s shifting focus to “health and wellbeing”.

“That’s the way I grew up – I love to be healthy and strong and to have a great energy. Life is better when you feel good.”

SOME of Aussie basketball’s all-time greats have jumped aboard three-time Olympian Suzy Batkovic’s campaign to raise funds for the nation’s drought-stricken farmers.

CHAMPION: Newcastle’s three-time Olympian Suzy Batkovic celebrates after winning last season’s WNBL title for Townsville Fire. Picture: AAPAN array of Australianbasketball’s all-time greats have jumped aboard three-time Olympian Suzy Batkovic’s campaign to raise fundsfor the nation’s drought-stricken farmers.

杭州桑拿

Batkovic, the Newcastle born-and-bred veteran who captains WNBL champions Townsville FIre, has launched herown Buy A Bale page to provide starving livestock with truckloads of hay.

Within days, she has already raised almost $11,500 and attracted donations from superstars like Andrew Bogut, Lauren Jackson andMichelle Timms.

Each truckload of hay, plus diesel, costs $5500, and Batkovic said her goal was to fund “as many as possible”.

“I just wanted to help and make a difference,” she said.

“We’re onto our third truck now and I’m so grateful for the support. The drought is a crisis, a national disaster, and it’s been heart-breaking for so many good, hard-working people.

“I’m just hoping that withmy platform I can raise awareness and help these people continue to put the food on our tables.”

Batkovic’s Buy A Bale page can be accessed online via Facebook, or her Twitter and Instagram profiles.

More than $1.7 million has flowed into The Big Dry Drought Appeal since February to help farmers across NSW survive the unprecedented conditions.

The appeal is a partnership between Fairfax Media, Macquarie Radio and charity Buy A Bale and the funds are going out as quickly as they are coming in. The appeal has Buy A Bale campaigns in the Hunter,New England-North West, Western NSW and Southern NSW. It also has one in Queensland.

TheNewcastle Herald, Maitland Mercury, Dungog Chronicle, Scone Advocate and Hunter Valley Newsstarted the Buy A Bale Hunter campaign with the charity in February.

DONATE HERE: Suzy Batkovic’s Buy A Bale page.

Search for Qld chopper wreckage called off

Honeymooners Peter and Sue Hensel perished in a helicopter crash near the Whitsunday Islands.The search for a helicopter that crashed off Queensland’s Whitsunday Islands killing two American tourists has been called off, with authorities unable to find it.

杭州桑拿

Honeymooners Peter and Sue Hensel died when the Eurocopter 120 crashed into water 250 metres from Hardy Reef Pontoon.

They were pulled from the wreckage by the pilot and another passenger but died at the scene.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau says the helicopter sank in about 60 metres of water near Hardy Reef but a cyclone soon after hampered search efforts.

Recovery operations by Queensland police and a salvage company in the two months following the crash failed to find the helicopter, the ATSB said on Wednesday.

The bureau believes the wreckage may have spread across a vast area.

“Personal belongings of one of the passengers were recovered from a beach at Cape Flattery … about 660 km northwest from Hardy Reef,” it said.

“This further demonstrated to the ATSB the potential distribution of the wreckage.”

The ATSB said given the length of time the aircraft had spent in the salt water any evidence that could be collected would be of little use.

A preliminary investigation by the ATSB found that as the helicopter approached the pontoon the pilot noticed a warning light before feeling a thud through the aircraft.

The nose of the helicopter then pulled sharply left causing the pilot to make a number of manoeuvres to regain control, the bureau said.

However the pilot was unable to control the aircraft and it crashed into the water before rolling onto its right side.

A 34-year-old man and a 33-year-old woman, along with the pilot survived the crash.

The investigation continues.