Irish tourist Barry Lyttle accused of attack on brother Patrick tries to negotiate with prosecutors for lesser charge

Patrick Lyttle, right, arrives in court this month to support his brother Barry, left. Photo: Paul BibbyAn Irish tourist accused of punching his brother in Kings Cross this year is trying to negotiate a lesser charge in the hope that he will soon be able to return home with his family.
杭州桑拿

Barry Lyttle’s lawyer told the Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday that he was in “negotiations” with the Director of Public Prosecutions and was hoping the matter could be “resolved” soon so that the family could return home.

Barry Lyttle, 33, is facing a charge of recklessly causing grievous bodily harm over the incident on January 3, in which he allegedly punched his brother Patrick on the head in Kings Cross following a minor disagreement.

Patrick Lyttle, 31, was placed on life support at St Vincent’s Hospital and spent a week in a coma before making a sudden improvement in mid-January.

He has since spoken out publicly in support of his brother and asked for the charges against him to be dropped.

Speaking after a brief court appearance on Thursday, Barry’s lawyer, Chris Watson, said he had been in discussions with prosecutors about replacing the grievous bodily harm charge with one that could be dealt with in the Local Court rather than the District Court.

Such a charge would, by definition, be less serious, and could mean that Barry might receive a punishment that did not involve full-time custody.

Crucial to whether prosecutors will agree to a lesser charge is a medical report, which the defence hopes will show that Patrick has not suffered any permanent injuries as a result of the alleged attack.

The court heard on Thursday that prosecutors had now received this report, but that they might require more evidence before being convinced that Patrick had made a full recovery.

“We’re just waiting for the DPP evidence which shows that Patrick’s recovered fully,” Mr Watson said outside court.

“We put the proposition [of a different charge] to the DPP, they have to consider it. They’ve been waiting for medical assessment. Once they have that, they can make a decision.”

Barry said he and his family were hoping for the matter to be resolved quickly.

“I just think that there’s a lot to be done in the next three weeks and we’re hoping that this can all be over soon because Dad needs to get home,” he said.

Patrick, who accompanied his brother to court along with their father, said he was not suffering any ongoing effects from the incident.

“We had a fantastic relationship before this incident, and that has not changed since this incident,” he said of the relationship with his brother.

The matter will return to court on April 9.

The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Wuxi Plastic Surgery Hospital.